May 1
Finished tying my wool batt into its cheesecloth casing so as to make a comforter of it.  Took the tent outdoors drove stakes and stretched it ready for waterproofing, then brot the tent in as it looked rainy.  Would have been a fine chance as it was a hot day and didn't rain until 3:00 or 4:00 o'clock.  Have wpfg compound ready.
Passed examination on second degree work at the Temple this evening.
Half soled my hiking shoes with some hard wearing compo[sition] soles.

May 8 1:30 Thur.
Have made a sleeping bag, waterproofed the tent, hauled my wood from Pancosts, hauled away the ashes, rigged up my fly-casting tackle and tried it out, bot a lawnmower and made preparations for a trip with the gang to Mystic Lake where we have the full use of the YMCA camp for nothing.  We start tomorrow at 4:00.

May 12 Mon.
Spent past week end with Hall, Pancost, Keith, Cigard, Donald and Lawrence at Mystic Lake Y.M.C.A camp.  Very comfortable place.  Keith caught 4 or 5 pike in Cranberry Lake nearby and Donald Hall one, mostly in early morning.
M.H.P. & I went fly-fishing in Grindstone River, very small and brushy.  Each of us caught a trout, both were about 6 1/2 inches long and of course went back in the water. Learned a lot about fly-fishing, and believe I can catch some when we get in country where they are.

Mystic Lake Camp today:

Tonight repaired three loose hinges on the garage doors, finished splitting the wood and threw all but a small pile in coal bin.  Too full to hold any more.

May 13  Tues.
Piled all the wood up in the basement under the stairs, a little more than I had last year.

May 14
Rainy evening.  Worked on the tent, finishing the roof & floor pieces.

May 15
Glazed two cellar windows that were broken, and put new screen in the back porch screen door.

May 16  Fri.
Ruby & I went to the annual spring party of Lansing Teachers Club at Hotel Kerns, played cards as Ruby didn't feel able to dance.

May 17
Spent yesterday & today mostly in helping Ruby in the kitchen & around the house but worked an hour on the tent.

May 19, Mon.
Alice & Maurice sent Hugh over to stay while they are out this evening.  He cried a few minutes when he found everybody in sight to be a stranger, but soon went to sleep and has been perfectly quiet since.

May 20  Tues.
Painted the old porch swing in back yard getting it ready to be put up there.  Jane has a very severe attack of ringworm and I have caught it from her but believe we have it checked now.

May 21  Wed.
Jane's feet so bad we took her to Dr. Bartholomew.  He prescribes a drastic treatment, which the seriousness of the situation warrants & requires.  She must be out of school several days.

May 22
Going to fly casting demonstration at the Y with M.H.P.

May 23
Last Sun. Ruby and I, talking a little walk by the Hoskins place, found some oyster mushrooms growing on an old log.  We brot them home and have had mushrooms since.  Today it was raining steadily.  I took raincoat & hat, rubber boots and the family in the car and returned to that log.  I got about a peck, great big luscious ones.

May 24  Sat.
Helped with housework till noon, then took the family downtown shopping.  We bought groceries and Ruby two dresses.  Then we drove out to McElmurry's on West Willow and bot 50# of rhubarb for a dollar.  Continuing on West we picked up the river road at Delta and saw the river banks as we shall see them when we float down the river some day on a flatboat.  The banks were green and beautiful, the river high and bowling along rapidly - a splendid time to start the adventure right now.
On the outskirts of Grand Lodge we turned back and skimmed along home on the pavement in a few minutes.

May 25  Sun.
Today we have had company all day, coming to see John mostly.  M.H.P. was here talking to me when Roy & Ethel & fammily came.  Later Morley & Win stopt in and we had Pancosts over for lunch & evening.  We got the rhubarb ready to can, but had to jar rings.  I did housework all the rest of the spare time & couldn't get to paint the porch swing nor finish my tent.

May 26 
Spent from 3 to 11:30 PM at Temple in being put through 3rd degree with the attendant ceremonies.
Masonic Temple, Lansing, Michigan built 1924
May 27  Tues.
Worked on recipes till bedtime.  Went to bed early, all in from being up so late last night.

May 28  Wed.
Worked on trail pack, tent, putting reinforcements in corners, etc.  Made good progress, despite numerous interruptions.

May 29  Thur.
Packed the family in the car, did the calls, and ending in N. end of the city drove on out, reaching Fremont in the evening after a stop for lunch in a schoolyard.  We went up by a different route than usual and found ourselves on the road past Bishops' cottage at Silver Lake.  The gang were to be there over the week end, but Ruby vetoed our going there.  As we were so near we stopt to see if any had yet arrived - to say "hello" or leave our card in the door.  Ethel B. was there, so Ruby nursed little John & changed him while I helped Ethel get the pump primed.  Then we drove on.

May 30  Fri.
Took a walk about 3 mi. out in the country and back in time for dinner.  A Mrs. Anna Morris, friend of Grace's and mother of Grant Eisenauer is also visiting here.  Loafed whole afternoon.

May 31  Sat.
Took lunch and whole gang, went to visit site of Hardy Dam or Oxbow dam now under construction in Muskegon River above present Croton Dam.  A tremendous engineering project.  I think the biggest I've ever seen.
Hardy Dam, Muskegon River, Michigan constructed 1929-1931

Comments are closed.