Tues. July 15
    Went shopping, put in claim for insurance for damages to car in 2 minor accidents, took car to Dean & Harris garage for repairs.

Wed. July 16
    Loafed around and rested, first time in days, sat in lawn swing.  Did a few last minute things, helped Ruby a little but mostly loafed.  Got the car back in the evening with radiator repaired, new windshield, brakes adjusted, and bumping jobs in door and a front fender.  M.H. ran into a cow in the Upper Peninsula and a stone hit the windshield & smashed a corner up near Mackinaw City while I was driving.  In N.D. I ran down a grade off the road about 4 ft high without damage while rounding a corner too fast.  No other accidents occurred during the trip.

Thur. July 17
    Drove to the state park at Tawas City and camped.  It proved to be a good deal of an enterprise, touring en famille.  Ruby had to leave out some of the things she wished to take and I some I had taken West, but we got away.  Numerous steps and a late start also seemed necessary, the latter because of working till midnight getting ready.  Our day's drive therefore totaled 164 miles.  For the first time, Ruby helped with the driving doing 40 mile shifts while I took 60.
    The camp at Tawas is large and has a good many people.  We found the kind of place we like by driving through the occupied part to a point further down the beach, nearly to the dock of the Lake Huron Fish Co., where there was plenty of shade, more seclusion and room to spread out.  The lake is a comfortable temperature for bathing, but full  of bits of wood, mill waste, etc.  Ruby & Jane are having a good time here.  I am enjoying the rest, and John tolerates it because he must.  He dislikes having his schedule of bath, nursing, sunbath and orange juice upset.  He is brown as bronze from sun tan and has lived outdoors all day every day for weeks.

July 22
    Drove to Rogers City where we camped in the deep woods at the rear of the park.  Nobody disturbs us here, for the crowd is over nearer the lake.  Near our camp is a spring for which I made a cover and shelf during our stay so as to use it for a cooler.  One good soaking shower visited us at this camp, the only one during our entire 37 day trip, lasting about two hours but without causing us much discomfort.  Our tent is unmistakably waterproof  (the roof only as yet) but did not admit a drop.  The bucksaw is an essential item of camp equipment for me hereafter.  It makes a neat and businesslike woodpile and makes it rapidly.  It would have saved me a tremendous amount of hard chopping in the West if I had had it along.  I cut a dead balsam about a foot through near our camp, cut it into ten foot logs and split them lengthwise with wedges.  These flat sided pieces would then be still to be sawed when laid across another log as in the sketch.
This avoids the need for a saw-buck.  I used up the whole tree during our stay except half of one log. This is a good illustration of the way a camper will use wood if he has it to use.  Meaning, of course, a real camper who isn't afraid to cook, wash and keep things up in a good substantial manner.
    During our whole trip we ate as well and kept as clean as at home.  At first it took a good deal of time, but we soon learned to work more rapidly, and could very comfortably spend every other day in sightseeing.  It could as well have been used for fishing, hunting or what have you.  Toward the last there was time to go swimming or take a walk or snooze or invite somebody in for the evening on the workday.  Baked 6 loaves of bread, 3 doz. cookies, a loaf of cornbread and a lot of pancakes at this stop.

July 27
    Drove to Brimley State Park.  Huckleberries are very abundant near Rogers City and Brimley, but not in the other places we stopped.  Spent one day seeing the Soo Locks and went fishing another day.  A cold wind discouraged very much outdoor cooking here and we lived from hand to mouth.  Not a stop that added much to the pleasure of our trip, though we were not actually uncomfortable.  In fishing season one might troll for lake trout between Round Island and Cedar Point, and they cast for rainbows, etc. in the St. Mary's rapids.  Use boots and get well out in the stream on one of the big rocks.  The fish must be played in swift water.  There is trout fishing in Pennell's Creek, and pike fishing in Pennell's Lake, but both must be from a foot.  The stream is fished in the beaver ponds just below the lake.  It is too small to fish below these ponds and is covered with dense brush.  It is only about 3 feet wide too.  It is reported to be fished to death, and is probably none too good, any time as the lake from which it flows is a marshy, shallow place, about a mile from Lake Superior and but little above it.  The water cannot possibly be very well aerated, though it is cold, almost as cold as ice water.
Wed. July 9
    Drove to Billings Montana, where we camped in the Mun. Tourist Park. The road went down, down, down, for miles after we left Mammoth, following the Yellowstone River, until it finally reached fairly level country, all at once, where no further fall was perceptible at all, and hotter than Dante.  At Billings it was 108.  The park there is a nice place for an overnight stop with laundry & showers & fair water.  It thundered in the evening & blew like sixty but only a dozen drops fell.  It hadn't rained there for four months but the park is irrigated and is green. The city water is of course Yellowstone River water, good flavor but only moderately cool.
    Next morning we rose late as we had to get into a store for a tire.  We found a Montgomery Ward Stor & bought one.  Before we got home we had to buy 1 more and 3 tubes.

Thur. July 10
    Drove till after dark, stopping in a little place of which we didn't even know the name near the western line of N. Dakota.  Nothing much happened.  A hot dusty drive, through country beginning to show signs of greenness, though still very dry, and always intensely hot.
    We left the park Wed. AM at 11, having been held up an hour by a one way detour, and drove 250 miles.  Next day, an earlier start and 275 miles.

Fri. July 11
    Got a very early start, about 4:00 AM and drove to Detroit Lakes, Min. near western border.  This is another nice stopping place, with good shade and bathing (lake).

Sat. July 11 [sic]
    Rose and started without breakfast, and got so good a start we ate it in Duluth on the east side of the state.  Crossed a small strip of Wisconsin and found ourselves once more in Michigan, though a long way from home yet.  Drove quite late and made camp in a schoolhouse yard near Iron Mountain.  We set up our bed in the woodhouse, so we didn't even have to use the tent.  The mosquitos were a little troublesome, but we draped netting over the head on stakes.  A young couple parked their coupe in the yard nearby quite late and I could hear them smacking away.  This was our longest days run, over 500 miles.

Sun. July 12
    Rose about 3 as usual and started without breakfast.  We reached St. Ignace at 11 and drove on a ferry almost at once.  At 12:30 we were over.  The restaurants in Mackinaw City were so exorbitant that we refused to eat in them and walked out.  We got a good dinner in Levering for 50 cents each, which was breakfast as well for us.  We drove into Lansing about 6:00, pretty tired, and excessively dirty, having driven from Yellowstone in five days.  As the first two days were short, we think it can be done in four another time.  We spent considerable time in changing tires, probably making a dozen or so repairs.  Our jack didn't work very well either, and often had to be coaxed 5 min. before it would put the car up.  The route by which we went out is by far the best and quickest.  The northern route is practically all gravel or earth and very rough & poor west of Minnesota!  The route for speed and comfort is certainly via Chicago, Elgin, Algona, Black Hills, Kadoka, Sundance, Big Muddy Pass, Cody, but the place to stop after this trip is West Thumb, not Lake, or else one of the roadside camps along the Yellowstone Lake shore, or on the Y. river.

Mon. July 14
    Somewhere I've crossed my dates for Sun. was the 13th.  We reached home the 13th, we started from home Friday the 13th of June.  Unpacked and unscrambled the goods and took MH's duffle over.  He greased the car.  Inventoried the groceries, settled with M.H., refilled the bags for another trip.